The Avery Bunch

6th Grade Class

Challenging Ourselves With….Cardboard?

cardboardchallenge

Last year, Mr. Avery had a chance to meet one of the most inspirational people he’s ever encountered. While in San Francisco as part of LearnZillion’s Teachfest, he had the opportunity to listen to somebody who brough an entire room of more than two hundred teachers to their feet with a huge round of applause. Who could have possibly done this you ask? It was a ten year old boy from California named Caine.

You may have heard of Caine before. He created a pretty famous arcade! It just so happens that his arcade ended up being part of a documentary that was put online and now has close to four million views. He’s had celebrities like Jack Black come play there. He’s been mentioned by others like Justin Timberlake and Jessica Alba. That’s pretty impressive for someone who isn’t even a teenager yet! Want to know what’s even more special about his arcade? It’s made out of nothing but cardboard and items he finds around his dad’s auto parts store!

Watch the videos below to learn more about Caine’s Arcade!

Watching these videos inspired us to make our own cardboard creations. We signed up for the Global Cardboard Challenge on the Imagination Foundation website. Once we got started, students were told that they could work individually or in a group of up to four people. They were asked to detail their goals, materials they thought they would need, and a schedule of what they wanted completed by the end of each day. They were supplied with cardboard, a roll of masking tape, and some scissors. They could bring in their own items to use but it had to be something that they had laying around the house. They could not go out to purchase anything for the project. Once they were provided instructions and materials, they had their math and science period for two days to just create!

The projects turned out incredibly! They varied from different arcade style games to the Tardis from Dr. Who! We had so much fun making them and then having the opportunity after to play with them! Check out the slideshow below to see pictures of our entire experience!

blogdividerribbon

What was your favorite cardboard creation?

Has your class ever done a project like this?

6 Comments

1. Mr Avery, it’s great to see that you are still doing lovely things with the kids. You might like to visit http://www.robives.com as he is the best cardboard model designer in UK. I love the free form models you will be working at.
    I’ll be sharing some of your ideas with colleagues.

Best wishes
    Mr E

2. Dear Mr. Avery,

Looks like it’s gonna be another awesome year! I remember watching that video last year! I still have a piece from our golf course! That was so much fun. All of the creations are amazing!

In school we had team day. We dug in the sand to find artifacts. But that lead to an essay.

The other day at school our buses came and they’re usually in order but we couldn’t find our bus. Molly, Ed, Ryan, Alexus, Jackie and I all had to wait at the middle school. Then someone said, “Where is Ms. Sarratt with her cookie sheet?” We all started to laugh and had to go on a new bus.

Hope you have an amazing year!

From,
    Ari

3. Dear Mr. Avery,

It must have be so cool to see, Caine! He must have given you lots of inspiration. I know if I met him, I’d be filled with creativity.

Sincerly,
    Mikayla

4. Dear Mr. Avery,

I remember talking about doing a project like that but I didn’t expect it to look that cool! School is going well for me and it looks like you guys are having fun as well. I am getting all “A’s” and two “B’s” and the term ends on Halloween…. EEEEKKKK! I hope I can plan a time to be able to visit but I have a busy schedule between school and my swim team practice.

Talk to you soon,
    Josh H

5. Hi Mr. Avery and crew,
    I was just browsing your blog as I have been very slack lately….and I was very happy to see your post on Caine’s arcade. We were exploring persistence and I thought Caine’s endeavour demonstrated a great level of persistence even when things weren’t working out as he had planned. We watched the clip and just like your class, my class of grade 5/6 students were also inspired to create their own cardboard arcades. They had an amazing time creating their masterpieces and an even more amazing time when other classes from our school came around to participate in our arcade! Take a look at some of our creations at http://www.thelearninglair.weebly.com
    Keep up the fantastic work!
    Mrs. Sinnott and 5/6S

6. Wow! That’s so impressive, I would never have expected that!
    :)